Friday 18 September 2015

Let's jump out of a plane

I didn't wake up excited this morning for some reason. To be honest I wasn't really thinking about the skydive at all. I think this was best though otherwise I might have been nervous. After a shower and a breakfast of muesli and kiwi fruit we had an hour to kill so wrote our blogs. Then at 11am we were picked up in a ridiculous yellow hummer. I was a bit embarrassed to be climbing in it and the English guy who sounded a bit like Russell Brand was full on with his 'hey dudes' and 'how's it hanging bro' which made it worse. 

When we got to Taupo airport (where the skydiving is) we had a nice talk on which packages we could choose from and obviously we both chose the cheapest. The lowest jump and no pictures or videos. The prices for extras were ridiculous starting at $139! All we wanted was the experience. After a long wait for another group to go first we were kitted out with a boiler suit, gloves, buff, funny helmet thing and goggles as well as a life jacket. We were about to jump out of a plane next to a big lake so I guess that makes sense. Finally, our jump partner introduced themselves to us literally a minute after they'd just landed with someone else. It all seemed a bit rushed but they were friendly guys. My guy was called Joel and he fastened up my straps and stuff so I'd be safe before we waited our turn to get on the plane. I think there were seven of us in total that were doing a skydive but only Matt and I were jumping from 12,000 feet; everyone else had opted for 15,000. We were told that you don't notice the difference in views or anything but you do get longer to free fall. The plane was really tiny. We sat on benches, one in front of the other so that our partners could attach themselves to us. At one point I was told to sit on my partner's lap so he could secure us together super tightly and safely. Joel had this watch thing that told us how high up we were. First of all he showed me when we reached 4,000 feet and I was shocked because I thought we were near 12,000 already. It took a little while to get up there and since Matt and I were jumping from a lower height we went first. I wasn't nervous at all but I was shaking from the cold so I think my partner thought I was. However, when we got to the right height and Matt and his guy opened the door, sat on the edge of the plane then fell out, I felt a little uneasy. Watching someone you know fall out of a plane is odd. Especially when you can see how far up you are. Then came my turn. Joel and I shuffled forward, attached to each other, and sat on the edge of the plane. My legs were hung over the edge but it was so windy that it was hard to keep them still. We did a little smile for the camera (there's one attached in the plane) before I held on to my harness, put my head back on Joel's shoulder and we jumped. 

I don't think I'd thought about how it would feel to fall until we actually fell. That feeling you get in your belly on roller coasters or even just over a hill in a car was pretty constant. However, I got over that after the first two seconds because what really shocked me was my breathing. I could hardly breathe. I kept trying to take big gulps of air and failing. Maybe it was me panicking or maybe it is really hard to adjust but I spent most of the free fall time focusing on getting some oxygen. I did look out at the views though after I was signalled to let go of the harness and spread my arms out wide. Finally, the parachute went up and we started floating. The one part I'd been weary of was when the parachute was pulled because I'd heard it can jolt up and hurt. It didn't. It did however hurt a little when Joel turned the parachute so we'd sail downwards. Actually, it was more uncomfortable. I managed to relax and enjoy the views of the lake and the mountains beyond although I've never felt so cold in my entire life as I did then. I started asking questions like 'what mountain is that' and 'is this the best place to skydive'. Turns out this or Wanaka in South Island are best but Taupo is cheaper by quite a lot. We chose the right place. 

When it was time to land (it took a good few minutes for us get down with the parachute) I was told to raise my legs up so Joel could land us. I ended up sitting on the floor in no smooth way whatsoever but it was a very soft landing. I was unclipped and sent to sit on a bench to wait for the rest of the group to land. The whole feeling of what I'd just done started to sink in and even though parts of it were uncomfortable or felt strange it had been incredible. I'd do it again. I joined Matt who had already landed and we chatted about how good it had been. Turns out Matt had the best partner because when they jumped out of the plane they did a somersault and then when the parachute was up Matt was allowed to steer it! I felt a little deflated. Maybe I'd seemed too nervous to do all this stuff or maybe Matt's partner was just way cooler. 

When everyone had landed we were invited to go to the movie room where it was warm to watch some of the footage they'd got of all of us and the detailed stuff that some people payed extra for. The videos were really cool but far too overpriced. Instead we both bought our exit photo (the picture that was taken just before we jumped from the plane) for $25. Unfortunately, I can't put it up on the blog yet as its on a disc so I'll just have to get it printed when I get home. It's not the best but it proved I did it. We were also allowed to keep our buffs that are bright yellow and say Taupo Tandem Skydive on them but we're very proud of them. 

After the movie room we climbed back in the tacky limo and were driven back to the hostel. I've never actually been in a limo before and I don't plan to again. They're not my thing. As we'd already checked out before the skydive we just got in the car and drove to a pub called Mousetrap because we'd been given $5 vouchers each at the skydive place and we hadn't had lunch yet. The pub had just opened so they were only serving bar snacks which meant we ended up with a bowl of chips and some garlic ciabatta. Not the healthiest of lunches. But together they cost $2 so we couldn't really complain. 

We hadn't really planned where to go but we wanted to see what the Tongariro National Park was like so after food we drove round lake Taupo, past distant mountain views, to Turangi. There wasn't really anything in Turangi to see but we stopped at the i-site to ask about some walks we could do tomorrow. I got chatting to a lovely lady called Ronda that worked there and she told me all the lovely walks we could do around the mountains and then asked if we had anywhere to stay. We didn't so she rang up a few hostels to see if they had any vacancies. It's still winter and the weekend so people come down from Auckland to ski meaning the area is pretty full up. She managed to get us two dorm beds in a YHA at National Park. Yes, the place was called National Park. With our accommodation sorted and some walks chosen for tomorrow we stopped off at a supermarket to get supplies before heading on to National Park. Ronda had told us the views on the drive there would be good but I wasn't expecting them to be as good as they were. We drove round the first set of mountains called Tongariro which blew us away. Then it was Ngauruhoe but some people might know this as mount doom from the Lord of the Rings (the place where Frodo destroys the ring). This looks like a proper volcano but it's top was perfectly covered in snow. Finally, it was the biggest of the north island, mount Ruapehu. We were actually meant to drive a little further on to our accommodation but we turned before and drove a few kilometres to Whakapapa village to get a better view of Ruapehu. This is also the place we wanted to come tomorrow morning to park our car and start our walk. I became  very excited about tomorrow. 

The sun had started to set so we headed on ten minutes down the road to National Park, checked in and made ourselves tea. This hostel was exactly what I once imagined hostels to be like. Lots of wood and a big kitchen with families and couples. It was lovely. We still had left over risotto from yesterday so we shared that and Matt made himself some pasta and pesto for his extra meal. We got chatting to an older couple who were here to ski and a girl (who turned out to be a bit crazy) that was here to see all of the Lord of the Rings sites. The girl wanted to move on tomorrow to a place called Ohakune which I knew we'd be passing after our walk so I offered her a lift if she wanted. She seemed very pleased. I was in a very good mood. Today has been pretty unforgettable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment